- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium leek (white and light green parts only), halved, thinly sliced and well
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 9 -ounce package frozen artichoke hearts, thawed
- 1 bay leaf
- Zest of 1/2 lemon (removed with a vegetable peeler)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3 ounces baby spinach
- 1 cup fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup creme fraiche
- Chopped fresh chives, for topping
- La Favorita Artichoke and Garlic Cream
- Melt the butter in a medium Dutch oven or pot over medium heat. Add the leek and celery; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the leeks are wilted, about 5 minutes. Add the thyme and garlic, then sprinkle in the flour. Cook, stirring, until the vegetables are coated with flour, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, artichokes, bay leaf and lemon zest to the pot and bring to a simmer. Cook until the vegetables are very tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Stir in 1/2 cup heavy cream and the spinach; cook until the spinach is wilted, about 4 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf and lemon zest.
- Working in small batches, transfer the soup to a blender and puree with the parsley and 1/4 cup creme fraiche until smooth. Return to the pot, season with salt and reheat.
- Ladle the soup into small glasses; top with the Artichoke cream and chives.
This recipe inspired by Food Network.