- 1 1/2 cups fresh raspberries
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1 small orange or clementine, zested
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/3 cup to 1/2 cup milk
- Heat the oven to 350°F and prepare two baking sheets by lining with parchment or lightly spraying with spray oil.
- In the bowl of a food processor, mix the raspberries with the brown sugar and orange zest until lightly chopped. Remove to a separate large bowl. Back in the food processor, whiz the flour, baking powder, and salt. Cut the chilled butter into small pieces and pulse with the flour in the processor just until roughly crumbled.
- Mix the flour and butter mixture with the raspberries in their bowl. Add the milk and stir just until the dough comes together; it’s fine if there is still crumbly flour.
- Sprinkle the counter top or a board with flour, and dump the dough out on it. Cut out rounds using a biscuit cutter or glass, or pat into a thick circle and cut into wedges.
- Sprinkle the scone tops with sugar.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until just golden. Serve warm.
This recipe inspired by The Kitchn.