- 1-1/2 c plus 2 T all-purpose flour
- pinch of salt
- scant 1/4 c sugar
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- grated peel of 1/2 lemon
- 2 medium eggs, room temperature
- 3-1/2 T unsalted butter, very soft
- 1 jar Les Confitures a l’Ancienne Wild Blueberry Jam
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Dump the flour on your work space and make a well in the middle. Sprinkle the salt, sugar, and the baking powder into the well, making sure to sift any lumps out of the latter. Add the grated lemon peel and vanilla.
- Crack the eggs into the well and, using your fingers, stir them gently to break up and start incorporating them into the dry ingredients. Add the butter and continue to stir until a rough dough starts to come together. Knead gently until it is smooth and uniform, trying not to overwork it or add too much additional flour.
- Pull off a quarter of the dough and set aside. Pat the remaining dough evenly into a 9-inch pie pan, making sure to push the edges of the dough about 1/2-inch up the sides of the pan to create a crust.
- Spoon the jam into the crust and spread out evenly. Pinch off small pieces of the remaining ball of dough and roll them into thin strips of varying length and create a lattice by laying them over the jam.
- Put the pan in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, until the tart is browned and the jam is bubbling. Let cool on a rack for an hour before turning out of the pan. Crostata will keep at room temperature for several days.
Recipe by The Wednesday Chef